Articles Related to Holidays
Shamrocks, Leprechauns, and Parades: St. Patrick’s Day!
- Shamrocks, Leprechauns, and Parades: St. Patrick’s Day! As children we learned that on St. Patrick’s Day we wear green to avoid getting pinched. There were also tales of leprechauns, and pots of gold at the ends of rainbows. As we got older, we carried on the age old tradition of wearing green, but might have... Read More »
The Fourth of July Festival in Southport, North Carolina
- Set against the backdrop of the Cape Fear River, the festival runs the entire week before July 4th as well, with concerts, art shows, and a reading from the Declaration of Independence.
Memorial Day is right around the corner!
- Memorial Day is right around the corner while many celebrate it with family & friends, we think it's important to remember the true meaning of the holiday.
- Earth Day – Today and Everyday
- Earth Day: The Simple Gifts of Nature No matter the weather, Earth Day is a day to be outside, enjoy the fresh air, walk through the woods or an open field, to feel the warmth of the sun, or to play in the rain. On April 22nd, you have no excuse not to go smell... Read More »
Easter Egg Hunts and Embracing Peeps
- Easter Egg Hunts and Embracing Peeps Easter Fun with the Grandkids Easter is fast approaching. As you’re planning for your time with the kids and grandkids, you may be wondering what you can do to make the Easter holiday extra special for the children in your life. We’ve got a few Easter activities in mind... Read More »
- Father’s Day By Hunter Houtzer More than worn-out polos and corny jokes, it seems fathers love to travel. My own certainly does. If he’s not watching the History Channel or cleaning out the garage (does any dad ever truly finish cleaning out a garage?), he’s planning our next big vacation. Not necessarily my personal dream... Read More »
- Mother's Day is on Sunday, May 10th, and until recently, I couldn't decide what I wanted to get my mother. Maybe there are some sons and daughters who don't have this issue. Maybe they're the kind of person who plans months in advance, orders a gift with enough time for standard shipping, and somehow manages to find the perfect card (not too sappy, not too comical). I'm not one of those people.
Arbor Day Celebrations
- Arbor Day Celebrations April 25th. There are communities all over the country where people gather together and work to make a difference in the preservation and protection of our country's forests.
National Pecan Month
- National Pecan Month By Becky Eades April is National Pecan Month and we think that this overlooked nut deserves a little more attention! Native to the southeast United States, the pecan is a healthy addition to any diet, although it’s primarily known for its use in a pie. But it’s time to think outside the... Read More »
DIY Holiday Decor
- As soon as Thanksgiving is over, many homeowners begin the task of decorating for the holidays. This probably means dragging boxes and bags from the attic, basement, or garage only to find that the lights don’t work or Santa’s head is slung at an odd angle from a year’s worth of rest. It can be... Read More »
Fun Facts About Poinsettias
- Dr. Leonard Perry, Extension Professor University of Vermont Do you like trivia, or at least learning more about the top-selling holiday plant? If so, perhaps you will be interested in a dozen fun facts about the poinsettia plants you buy and see everywhere each December. Fact 1: Did you know that the poinsettia’s main attraction... Read More »
Turkey: Deep Fried or Roasted?
- Last year the battle was between two different holiday meats: turkey and ham. Both had their pros and cons, and if your family is like mine, both kinds show up at all the holiday gatherings regardless. This year we’re keeping it to turkey, but debating whether deep fried is better than roasted—or the other way... Read More »
The Face of Halloween: Jack-o-lanterns
- The Face of Halloween: Jack-o-lanterns It’s that time of year again for costumes, candy—which the candy is for us just as much as it’s for the trick-or-treaters, if we’re being honest—and pumpkins. Homes are transformed into haunted attractions, complete with spider webs, graveyards, and fog machines. Already, candle lit faces are gazing eerily from front... Read More »
Valentine’s Spa Day
- The spirit of gift giving usually favors one person or another. This can be especially true for Valentine's Day where lovers always seek to outdo the other on surprises, hoping to make this year the best one yet. In this way the boyfriends and husbands have to brainstorm hard to think of the perfect romantic gesture to make their darling swoon, and girlfriends and wives have to rack their brains to remember what exactly he said he wanted a few months ago.
12 Classic Holiday Films
- 12 Classic Holiday Films Every family has holiday traditions that help everyone get in the seasonal spirit, but there’s nothing like lounging on the sofa with your entire family and watching a great holiday movie to really get you in the holiday mood. We’ve rounded up the top twelve holiday movies for your movie watching... Read More »
Celebrating the 4th of July
- Celebrating the 4th of July I lived in the little town of Harrisburg, North Carolina, for about 16 years. For as long as I can remember, every summer I looked forward to the annual 4th of July parade that took over one side of the street through town. I would get up early on a... Read More »
Gift Ideas for Dad this Father’s Day
- While he would appreciate breakfast in bed, that might not be exactly what he is thinking of for his special day. Doing things for him such as cutting the grass, taking the trash and recycling out, or fixing that leaky faucet are probably more along the lines he is thinking on.
Remembering on Memorial Day
- Remembering on Memorial Day The next holiday on our calendars is Memorial Day, so big plans for the weekend are a must. In Charlotte, North Carolina, people are gearing up for the Coca-Cola 600, the big May race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Race fans from all over have pitched their tents or are camping out... Read More »
Great Gift Ideas for Mom on Mother’s Day
- With Mother's Day this weekend, children of all ages are running around trying to figure out the perfect gift for Mom. Mothers hold a special place in our hearts. There's something magical about them that can fix anything, from nightmares to skinned knees to broken hearts. With just one hug from our mothers, everything in the world is made all right again. So, it is no wonder we all want to try and find the best gift for our special Mom.
- How do you feel about luxury? Do you like being pampered? Explore our many Spa Communities & Luxury Communities with a Spa located in the U.S. & aboard. Our spa communities are the crème de la crop when it comes to all housing whether neighborhoods for all ages or 55+ areas.